2017 NATIONAL WHITE SUFFOLK CONFERENCE
Sunday, February 12th - Wednesday, February 15th
at Wagga Wagga, New South Wales
Conference Venue - Carriage House Motor Inn
32 Rooms have been reserved until the end of the year, so book now!
Sunday 12th February
4:00-6:00pm - Registration, meet and greet.
6:30pm - BBQ meal supplied –under the Shade Sail - BYO DRINKS
Monday 13th February
8:00-8:30am - Registration- arrival tea & coffee
8:30-8:40am - Welcome- Paul Routley, President NSW White Suffolk Sheep Breeders Group
8:40-9:00am - Peter Button- Federal Council President, Federal Council Matters Anthony Hurst- Branded Lamb update
9:00-10:00am - Detective Senior Constable Scott Blanchard, Rural Crime Investigator - Stock, theft and crime prevention
10:00-10:30am - Morning Tea
10:30-11:00am - Ben Matthews, Southern NSW lead Agronomist - Dual Purpose Agronomy
11:00-12:00am - Matt Hallam, Animal Innovations - Optimising feed conversion efficiency and genetic potential
12:00-1:00pm - Lunch
1:00pm-2:30pm - Chris Wilson, Riverina Blue Bell - Mental illness, it’s not a life sentence
2:30-3:00pm - Afternoon Tea
3:00-3:30pm - Forum - Speakers from Day 1
3:30-4:00pm - Forum - Federal Council and Association Matters
4:00-5:30pm - Free Time
5:30pm - Bus leaves for Thirsty Crow Brewery
7:00pm - Dinner Thirsty Crow Brewery
Owner Craig Wealands, on what they “Do & Brew”
10:00pm - Bus leaves for Carriage House from Thirsty Crow
Tuesday 14th February
8:15-8:30am - Arrival tea & coffee
8:30am-9:00am - James McNaughton, Knights Meats - Overview of the Business
9:00-10:00am - Ben Thomas, Market Information Manager MLA - sheep meat outlook, supply and demand, outlook ahead
10:00-10:30am - Morning Tea
10:30-11:30am - Richards Apps, Program Manager Sheep and R&D MLA - Revolutionising Carcass Assessments
11:30-12:00pm - Forum - morning speakers
12:00-1:00pm - Lunch
1:00-2:00pm - Annual General Meeting
2:00-3:00pm - Info/Market Afternoon, company reps and local produce
3:00-3:30pm - Afternoon Tea
3:30-4:00pm - Conference Wrap Up
4:00-6:00pm - Free Time
6:00pm - Dinner Carriage House, Lucky Door Prize & Auction
Wednesday 15th February
7:30am - Breakfast, supplied under the shade sail
2016 National White Suffolk Conference
Was held on Sunday March 13th - Tuesday March 15th
at Albany, Western Australia
** The early bird rate applies to registrations received by Friday, 15th January 2016
Registrations close 5:00pm, Friday 19th February 2016.
All registrations must be accompanied by payment.
There will be no refund for any cancellation after Friday 19th February.
Keynote Speakers include:
- Dawson Bradford "Producer to Chairman"
Dr Graeme Gardner, Prof David Pethick, & Dr Kelly Pearce – Murdoch University
"What is in the Sheep Genetics Pipeline?"
- Dr Enoch Bergman "Proud to Produce Protein & Building a Better Cow"
- Paul Mahony – Wellards Livestock Manager "Marketing Lamb"
- Hamish Chandler & Will Chaffey – Sheep Genetics - "Lambplan Update"
Conference Dinner on Tuesday Night - Guest Speaker
"Working with Warriors" Ross Ditchburn & Owen Catto, Regional Men’s Health Initiative
We would like to thank our sponsors of the 2016 National Conference:
2015 National White Suffolk Conference
was held Sunday, 15th to Wednesday, 18th of February 2015 at the Nuriootpa Sports and Function Centre in SA's beautiful Barossa Valley.
- Geoff Gale & Ian Turner - Early development and history of the White Suffolk breed
- Hans Daetwyler, Victorian Department Environment & Primary Industries -The identification of Lethal Genetic Mutation through DNA Testing and the affect on reproduction in our flocks
- Celia Dickason, Team Leader, EAS Team -Enhanced Abattoir Surveillance – Information that is collected and how it is used to improve the health of the sheep industry
- Dr Adrien Griscti -Health issues facing the people in the farming community and services available
- Hamish Chandler -Lambplan Update – Latest on MEQ research, trial results and progression of White Suffolks within the system
- Virginia Kurtz - Bio-dynamic Farming: taking a look at a different approach – managing the health of livestock and soil on your farm
- Roger Paskin, Chief Veterinary Officer for South Australia - On-farm Biosecurity: “One Biosecurity” – a new direction in delivering on farm animal health services
2014 National White Suffolk Conference
was held in Hamilton, VIC Sunday 16th – Wednesday 19th February 2014
- Richard Apps – Manager of Sheep and lamb research – MLA
- Professor Ron Leng – Olsson’s – Prelambing Ewe Nutrition
- Nathan Scott – MS&A –EID technology and applications
- Animal Health Australia – OJD MAP review update and public consultation
- Graeme Anderson – DEPI Victoria – Understanding weather and climate
POST CONFERENCE MEDIA RELEASES:
POWERPOINT PRESENTATIONS: coming soon
- Sheep Electronic Identification - Nathan Scott - 2.6MB .pdf
- Lamb Eating Quality - Matthew Knight - 2.5MB .pdf
- Sheep Genetics & Genomics - Hamish Chandler and Tom Hooke - 1.9MB .pdf
- MLA - Innovation in On-farm production - Richard Apps - 1.6MB .pdf
- Seasonal Variability and Change - Graeme Anderson - 2.1 MB .pdf
- Principles of Nutrition for the pre-lambing ewe - Prof RA Leng - 1.6MB .pdf
- Sheepmeat Council Report on OJD - Ian McColl & Kat Ferme - 3.3MB .pdf
2013 National White Suffolk Conference
Was held in Cowra, NSW
- Increasing consumer demand for lamb and the consumer’s perception of our industry;
- Lamb survival;
- White Suffolks as a Maternal Sire;
Meat eating quality
- Dinner Guest Speaker: Mr Owen Finegan - Australian Rugby Legend and CEO of Snowy Hydro SouthCare Helicopter
Was held at Hadspen Cricket Grounds, Hadspen, Tasmania.
Sunday 12th February – Wednesday 15th February 2012
Another Conference done and dusted! A special thanks to our Tassie members for hosting the 2012 event, and in particular to Rob and Sally Keen and Dale Moore for pulling it all together. Approximately 90 people attended the two-day Conference with 72 travelling across from the mainland – a fantastic effort!